Singapore, although a small nation, has one of the best and most cost-effective public transportation networks in the world. Singapore’s public transport system is efficient and fast due to the country’s extensive, systematic and comprehensive network of rail, road and bus routes. This complex but seamless system will get you where you want to go. These are some of the best options of the Singapore public transport system that you could use to get around.
Buses are a very important part of Singapore’s public transport system. Buses cover much of the entire country, including bus routes not covered by the MRT. Buses are important to access places like Jurong Bird Park and Singapore Zoo. The buses will also help when going to certain areas of the city from the airport through certain bus routes.
Various bus tours of Singapore are also available in the city. Singapore bus tours will take you to several of the city’s top tourist attractions and these bus routes will have a line of attractions. These are very popular in the city and many tourists book Singapore bus tours. If you want to book a bus ticket in Singapore online, redBus is the best option you have.
Ticket sales options:
To pay for tickets, the following methods can be used:
• Cash: Tourists can pay bus drivers directly in bills or coins on board. The driver will print a bus ticket that can be used for that trip. This method is not recommended as bus ticket fares are high when paid in cash.
• EZ-Link Card: Each bus would have a card reader at each entrance and you can simply touch the card. The rates paid with the cards are cheaper.
• Singapore Tourist Pass: Offers people unlimited travel on buses, MRT and LRT up to the validity period of the pass. These can be purchased at any Transitlink ticket office.
Mass Rapid Transit (MRT)
The MRT is a heavy metro system that opened in 1987 to serve as the main part of Singapore’s public transport system. This is the best way to get around the city, offering an affordable and hassle-free ride to the city’s main tourist spots.
Most tourists will use the following stations:
• Changi Airport
• Place of raffles
• Facing the bay
• Little India
• Vegetable garden
• In front of the port
Ticket sales options:
There are three options to take a ticket for the MRT.
• Standard Ticket: If you are staying in Singapore for only 2 days or less, this would be the best option. You can buy tickets at the ticket and refill machines at the stations.
• EZ-Link Card: If you are staying in Singapore for a while, then this is a great option. With the EZ-Link card, you can save money. Bus, MRT and LRT fares are cheaper when paid with the card, but the card will cost around five dollars. This can be purchased at MRT station ticket offices.
• Singapore Tourist Pass: Can also be used for unlimited travel.
Although these are not as dense as those in Paris, Tokyo or London, they are still used by thousands of people in a day.
Light Rail Transit (LRT)
The LRT is mainly used to connect the MRT network. It is used by people to travel to suburban areas such as:
• Sengkang (Northeast of Singapore)
• Bukti Panjang (Northwest of Singapore)
• Punggol (Northeast of Singapore)
Tourists do not usually use the LRT as the above places are not very popular.
Taxis can be found in queues at the taxi stand or can be hailed on the road. Taxis can usually be found in front of major tourist attractions, shopping malls, and hotels.
• Cash: all drivers will accept bills and coins and will be able to give you change.
• Debit or Credit Card: most taxis accept cards but make sure of this before starting the trip.
• EZ-Link: When you take SMRT taxis, Premier Taxis and some other taxis, you can pay with the EZ-Link card. However, it is best to ask before the trip begins.
Sometimes during rush hour it can be difficult to find a taxi. During such situations, you can use various apps to book a taxi.
Singapore also offers bike share initiatives to travel in an eco-friendly way. It’s also a great way to get around the city at your own pace. Luxury coaches are also available for specific parts of the city.
No more struggling with your hotels and bus tickets online when you can access everything online with a simple click. The easily accessible website will help you with everything from simple online bus tickets, Singapore bus tours and luxury coaches to hotels and sightseeing tours! Booking your tickets and accommodation is now easy and fast with red Bus!